[H-GEN] Mail problems

Everist, Geoff everistg at switch.aust.com
Wed Jul 7 21:22:52 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Everist, Geoff" <everistg at switch.aust.com>)

	[snip]

> Is it possible this is actually something to do with the kernel as Paul
> suggested?  I have tried using netstat during this 10 minute period.  Both
> ends show the connection as being established still and the Linux end has
> no
> packets queued (well, not that netstat shows anyway).  I hope I don't have
> to go to the extent of trying to run gdb with sendmail to see why it is
> waiting 8^(.

	I've experienced exactly the same problem (with the same
configuration), and I am using 2.0.36 kernel with sendmail version 8.9.2,
although it seems to happen only on large emails, and is not happening as
regularly as your problem. The problems are usually initiated by shutting
down either sendmail or MSES IMC, and can only be fixed by removing the
offending email from the IMC queue. Anyway, it's about time you became
familiar with the sendmail innards - looking forward to receiving your patch
8^)

	Geoff Everist