[H-GEN] Stupid RH l0z3r Strikes Again

Rob Kearey r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 18 03:04:57 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

Martin Pool wrote:

> At a guess (and somebody with a RH machine should confirm it), su uses it
> (to do echo-off) and bash (for libreadline).  But try running /bin/ash as
> aj suggested, which doesn't know about termcap.  Try su -c /bin/ash (or use
> that suid shell you have squirreled away :-): ash is often installed
> statically linked.  Try also /bin/sash, which is meant for recovery, though
> I'm not sure if it's in RH, and look for /bin/*sh*static.

sash is there, along with ash.static. Hmmm.

Odd. It seems that su refuses to run without libtermcap. There is, in
fact, a symlink ( /lib/libtermcap.so.2 -> libtermcap.so.2.0.8 ).

[robk at ningaui robk]$ su -c /bin/ash
Password:
bash: error in loading shared libraries: libtermcap.so.2: cannot open

Oh dear.

[robk at ningaui robk]$ rpm -qf /bin/su
sh-utils-1.16-26
[robk at ningaui robk]$ rpm -qR sh-utils
pam >= 0.66-12
/sbin/install-info
/bin/sh
ld-linux.so.2
libc.so.6
libcrypt.so.1
libdl.so.2
libm.so.6
libpam.so.0
libpam_misc.so.0
/bin/sh
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)

Hmmm, part two. No libtermcap there.

> Browsing http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/6.0/updates/i386/ByName.html
> (which is not responding very well for me at the moment) may give you some
> information on what other versions you need.

Down for me at the mo; I'll check tomorrow. Now for pizza and beer.

> Personally, I've gone to apt-get and won't be looking back.

Well, to be fair, I did install a 6.0 update over the latest Rawhide,
which is probably a Bad Thing To Do.

--
Robert Kearey           Network Services
ITS                     University of Queensland