[H-GEN] Stupid RH l0z3r Strikes Again

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Wed Aug 18 02:47:53 EDT 1999

[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and
Unix-related topics. ]

At 15:35 18/08/99 +1000, you wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 02:55:32PM +1000, Rob Kearey wrote:
>> I dutifully applied the latest RedHat 6.0 upgrades for libtermcap, and
>> now I get this:
>>
>> [robk at ningaui robk]$ su
>> Password:
>> bash: error in loading shared libraries: libtermcap.so.2: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>> [robk at ningaui robk]$
>>
>> Same thing for logging on at the console. Eep.
>>
>> If I goto runlevel 1 (single user), will I be able to fix this?
>
>Is it su or bash that's linked against libtermcap?

At a guess (and somebody with a RH machine should confirm it), su uses it
(to do echo-off) and bash (for libreadline).  But try running /bin/ash as
aj suggested, which doesn't know about termcap.  Try su -c /bin/ash (or use
that suid shell you have squirreled away :-): ash is often installed
statically linked.  Try also /bin/sash, which is meant for recovery, though
I'm not sure if it's in RH, and look for /bin/*sh*static.

Browsing http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/6.0/updates/i386/ByName.html
(which is not responding very well for me at the moment) may give you some
information on what other versions you need.

Personally, I've gone to apt-get and won't be looking back.

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Ltd.          |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only