[H-GEN] Stupid RH l0z3r Strikes Again

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Aug 18 01:35:35 EDT 1999

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 02:55:32PM +1000, Rob Kearey wrote:
> I dutifully applied the latest RedHat 6.0 upgrades for libtermcap, and
> now I get this:
>
> [robk at ningaui robk]$ su
> Password:
> bash: error in loading shared libraries: libtermcap.so.2: cannot open
> [robk at ningaui robk]$
>
> Same thing for logging on at the console. Eep.
>
> If I goto runlevel 1 (single user), will I be able to fix this?

Is it su or bash that's linked against libtermcap?

If it's just su:
	- try using sudo if you've got it installed
	- reboot into single user mode, or with init=/bin/sh

If it's just bash:
	- try using tcsh if you've got it installed
	- try using zsh, ash, rc, if you've got any of them installed
	- try using /bin/su -c rpm foo

If it's both:
	- try combinations
	- use a rescue disk

It's also possible that you might just have to
	ln -s /lib/libtermcap.so.2.* /lib/libtermcap.so.2
(ie, the symlink's missing). If so, and if you can't just use "su -c",
doing something like:

	ln -s /lib/libtermcap.so.2.* /home/foo/libtermcap.so.2
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/foo su -c 'echo "run something useful"'

Someone who actually knows something about RH and what's linked against
termcap may have better ideas.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds