[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT

Doug Young dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au
Mon Aug 2 19:20:57 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs "Doug Young" <dougy at gargoyle.apana.org.au>)

 at As has been mentioned previously once or twice, this isn't so. As long
> as IP forwarding has been compiled into the kernel, it can be turned on
> or off on the fly.

Hey I'm not up on all the techo stuff .... my installation was just as the
thing installed and that test for a "1" in wherever kept telling me IP
forwarding was not available, and when I did the kernel bit it suddenly
appeared to start doing what its supposed to. The following three extracts
from postings yesterday all proved to be correct

"If your route table looks like this then the original configuration you
were
trying should work unless ip masquerading is screwing you up by blocking any
routing.  I've never used Mandrake, perhaps someone who has could tell us if
routing is enabled in the kernel by default?" ..... (it WAS !!"

" Or forwarding is disabled (which is the default) - kernel recompile"
stalled
"if that file doesn't exist then you need to recompile the kernel"