[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT

Rob Kearey r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 2 18:49:33 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Rob Kearey <r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au>)

Doug Young wrote:

> The suggestion about reversing effects of "/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" on
> mail was appreciated ..... thats sort of "step by step" stuff is what the
> less experienced users need to know instead of MORE confusing long winded
> explanations ...... but just why does this happen in the first place ??

Build a fire for a person and they'll be warm for the night. Set a
person on fire, and they'll be warm for the rest of their life.

Or something like that.

> Well I eventually figured that out at about the same time as someone
> informed me that linuxes have IP forwarding disabled by default and
> apparently the only way to fix it is a re-compile :)

As has been mentioned previously once or twice, this isn't so. As long
as IP forwarding has been compiled into the kernel, it can be turned on
or off on the fly.

--
Robert Kearey           Network Services
ITS                     University of Queensland