[H-GEN] Re: Unix vs NT (religious war :-)

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sun Aug 1 10:11:36 EDT 1999

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 11:23:42PM +1000, root wrote:
> I think thats what I have ..... the local gateway has ppp0 & eth0 both
> with same IP address, and the other LAN boxes have other "real"
> addresses but with different subnet to the external gateway

Why do you keep putting real in quotes? Are the real addresses or not?

It's probably not wise to have two interfaces with the same IP address.

What you want to end up with is something like this:

            a                  b
Internet <-----> Linux box <---+---> Windows host
                               +---> Windows host
                               +---> Windows host

...where (a) is the ppp0 interface, using one pair of addresses; and (b)
is the eth0 interfaces, with all its addresses on a single subnet.

Once you can ping both the Internet and your windows hosts from the Linux
you probably need to "echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward". There'll
be a config option in one of the RedHat/Mandrake tools to do this
automatically, but I've no idea where, offhand.

Use ifconfig and route -n frequently and make sure you understand
most of what it's telling you. Make sure you know why each entry is
there for both of them. They're your primary tools for working out
what's up with your networking.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds