[H-GEN] IDE CDrom on a non-plugnplay

Ben Carlyle carlyle at tabq.com.au
Thu Apr 8 01:44:13 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Ben Carlyle <carlyle at tabq.com.au>)

> Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this sort of
> situation or know moe about these EEPROMs?

Have you tried the CDROM device on other motherboard IDE channels?
Some older CDROMs such as my 4x at home don't like to run off standard
IDE channels.  I seem to recall reading something in a howto long ago
indicating that such CDROMs require extra commands to be sent for startup,
typically from a sound-card.

My CDROM works fine under linux running off my ESS soundcard IDE interface,
but refused to work on any of my other IDE channels.

<shrugs>
That's something else to check if you're desperate :)