[H-GEN] IDE CDrom & non-plugnplay M/B - SUCCESS

R B louisxii at uq.net.au
Sat Apr 10 22:19:40 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs R B <louisxii at uq.net.au>)

Thankyou for all your comments and ideas,

The manual says IDE Tape and CD-ROM devices are supported under the
Enhanced IDE which this M/B has. The HDD auto-detect screen is for HDD's
only.
Darn, my mistake.
This means that what I was expecting to see what was not to be.
> What are you expecting to happen?
> cjb.
A 'scrutinizing manual read' provoking question.
The CD does not show up at all on any of the BIOS detection systems. I
look back and see the assumptions I had made.

I checked Linux for the isofs and it was there as a module;
and that, I thought, was that,
but alas,
after checking for IDECD support in the .config file, it was set to
'no'.
Embarrassment set in, along with comments of 'how obvious' and 'how
could I have missed that?'
> (Do you have ATAPI CDROM support turned on in your kernel?)
> cjb.
This line nudged me to look again in another spot in the config file.

After a quick reconfig and recompile and reboot, it imediately winged
that the tray was open or drive not ready. Eureka! It was found. Linux
has it! Sweeter words I had not seen for a while.

Now I can stuff around with DOS. Should be easy.

Thankyou all again for the comments.
I am grateful for the questions regarding the obvious and not so
obvious.

Ron the now happy