[H-GEN] Re: [H-ANNOUNCE] Constitutional amendments

Raymond Smith raymonds at uq.net.au
Wed Jun 24 19:15:53 EDT 1998

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Robert Brockway wrote:
> It is because I have never felt comfortable with the idea of allowing one
> person to get more than one vote.  If A proxies to B, B will vote the way
> B wants to vote but get 2 votes in doing so, B will not (imho :) vote the
> way 'A would have voted' with one of them.  Of couse it could be argued
> that A will choose a like minded person to proxy to, but this is
> subjective.

This is not true. A proxy vote can specify how the proxy is to be cast. If the
nominations for positions were known before the AGM (as they should be,
really...) then person A could sign a proxy to vote in people X,Y,Z and
give that proxy to the secretary who can keep them as a "proof of proxy"
if we do not trust person B.

Raymond.

---
raymond at humbug.org.au