[H-GEN] Re: [H-ANNOUNCE] Constitutional amendments

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Wed Jun 24 11:20:15 EDT 1998

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Why?

It is because I have never felt comfortable with the idea of allowing one
person to get more than one vote.  If A proxies to B, B will vote the way
B wants to vote but get 2 votes in doing so, B will not (imho :) vote the
way 'A would have voted' with one of them.  Of couse it could be argued
that A will choose a like minded person to proxy to, but this is
subjective.

Imho the

> We're a computer user group; surely it's not beyond us to realise that
> physical presence isn't always a crucial factor.

That is true.  I would, for example, be happier with voting via
teleconferencing rather than the current proxy scheme.  Teleconferencing
would be more representative of 'not being there in a physical sense on in
an intellectual sense' than proxying.

To be honest I can't even remember why we put it in there :)  Can anyone
remember?
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at zen.humbug.org.au, robert at icc.net.au