[H-GEN] AMD K6 Chip

Frank Brand fbrand at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Mon Sep 8 19:49:39 EDT 1997

No, AMD K6 chips. I have since found that this information is correct
that the early AMD K6 chips did cause intermitent failure with Linux
kernel builds (apparently 1 in 5 or 10 would give segmentation fault and
cark it [is that the Oxford Dictionary spelling for cark?])

This happened only with more than 32 MB of memory. with 32 or less it
did not happen.

I believe eventually the same thing was noticed with Win 95, Win NT and
BSD. The BSD team had quite some difficulty with purchasing several
chips and motherboards before they realised what was happening. They
finally wrote a nasty retort and said AMD K6 chips were unsuitable for
BSD.

AMD have acknowledged the problem and documented it. I believe that
chips produced after about week 30 (the week of build is part of the
serial number) may have had it fixed but I have yet to determine this as
gospel.

FB

Sid Young wrote:

> At 00:38 7/09/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >I have been reading a number of reports claiming considerable
> >difficulties with AMD K6 chips with Linux - specifically when memory is
> >over 32 MB.
> >
> >Does anyone have some definitive information on this or is it still
> >rumour?
> >
> >--
>
> Its more than likely the problem is with Cyrix chips. The AMD chip sets
> always work well.
>
> Sid

Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at mailbox.uq.edu.au