[H-GEN] AMD K6 Chip

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Sun Sep 7 23:45:02 EDT 1997

Maliuta <s337879 at student.uq.edu.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, David Shackleton wrote:
>
> > While we're on this CPU thread, I wondered if someone would like to
> > recap on that little box of joy[1] that John Hall brought along.
> >
> > All I know (and this is second hand knowledge as I arrived after the
> > presentation)  is that apparently anyone will be able to produce these
> > chips as the spec's is publicly available and that they're of the
> > magnitude of 500mhz, and the CPU itself worth US$29...
> >
> My understand was that it was the motherboard that anyone could produce as
> the design had been released to the net. The cpu would be bought from
> digital for us$29 at qty. 1 and the rest of the componentry was standard
> stock from other companies.

The most recent press release I could find on DEC's[1] site said "$29,
qty 10000", and $2500 for the EvB itself.

http://www.dec.com/semiconductor/press902.htm

That article was about the SA-1100 chip, can anybody confirm if I'm
barking up the right tree?

Still looking for info on the motherboard itself...

Chris.

[1] Who cares what the 'n' marketroids want to call it.

--
 chris at stallion.oz.au, when he visits the Real World, is Christopher J. Biggs
 Stallion Technologies, Australia.   Ph. +61-7-3270-4266 Fax. +61-7-3270-4245