[H-GEN] All-purpose, all-powerful modem init string.

Rob Kearey ccrkeare at dingo.cc.uq.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 16:24:02 EST 1997

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 16:38:06 +1030, Matthew Tippett wrote:

>Rob Kearey wrote:

>> at&fx0b0 generally works. V42 tends to be more reliable than MNP10 in the
>> long run.
>
>B0 Hmmmm  That is usually the speed negotiation command.

Erm, in every modem I've encounterd (lots) B0 select CCITT modulation.

>X0 Hmmmm (again) That is DIAL TONE *and* BUSY.  Not wanted when connecting
>		to a busy ISP.

Unless your modem doesn't like STD pips, or you're on a PABX, or it just
feeling ornery.

If it's busy, that's that. Won't hurt either way.

>X3 definately is the right command.

Unless you're using a Xircom, or a modem that has a country preset in S131,
or a grumpy PCMCIA thing, etc etc.

>For a hayes (read: AT) command set reference check out
>
>	http://www.umr.edu/~tmoore/hayes.html
>
>Some modem manufacturers change the commands a bit, but they
>keep generally within the guidelines.

A bit? A _lot_. Try finding some consistent commands for V.42 manipulation.
There's _no_ substitute for your modem manual, I'm afraid.

>Matt

---
Robert Kearey			Network Services
Prentice Computer Centre	University of Queensland
3365 8527			r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au