[H-GEN] All-purpose, all-powerful modem init string.

Matthew Tippett matthew.tippett at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Nov 19 01:08:06 EST 1997

Rob Kearey wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:41:44 +1000, Steve Pinel wrote:
>
> >I remember once that someone mentioned a modem init string on the list that
> >was a 'don't listen for dialtone, you are not in the US, listen now' etc
> >all-purpose type init string.  I printed it out at the time because I
> >thought it would be useful.  I cleaned up on Monday and threw it out, not
> >having used it since, and now I need it (aint it the way).
>
> I think that was me.
>
> >Is anyone able to remember the init, or able to sugest something that might
> >work for a stubborn modem?
>
> at&fx0b0 generally works. V42 tends to be more reliable than MNP10 in the
> long run.

B0 Hmmmm  That is usually the speed negotiation command.
X0 Hmmmm (again) That is DIAL TONE *and* BUSY.  Not wanted when connecting
		to a busy ISP.
X3 definately is the right command.

For a hayes (read: AT) command set reference check out

	http://www.umr.edu/~tmoore/hayes.html

Some modem manufacturers change the commands a bit, but they
keep generally within the guidelines.

Matt