[H-GEN] All-purpose, all-powerful modem init string.

Matthew Tippett matthew.tippett at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Nov 19 00:05:50 EST 1997

Steve Pinel wrote:

> I remember once that someone mentioned a modem init string on the list that
> was a 'don't listen for dialtone, you are not in the US, listen now' etc
> all-purpose type init string.  I printed it out at the time because I
> thought it would be useful.  I cleaned up on Monday and threw it out, not
> having used it since, and now I need it (aint it the way).
IIRC ATX3 turns off dial tone detection.  If that doesn't work, try ATX4.

There should be Hayes compatible command listings on the net.

> Is anyone able to remember the init, or able to sugest something that might
> work for a stubborn modem?

There are some other settings in S registers, but I can't remember them and
they are *VERY* modem specific.

I have seen a number of modems that come with a AT&W'ed X3 setting.  Of course
I couldn't find an austel approved sticker on it.   But that was a long
time ago..

Matt