[H-GEN] Netscape (again)

John John.B at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Tue Nov 11 23:47:59 EST 1997

Hi all,
       I posted a problem here a while ago concerning netscape. When I
tried to run it It would hang with an entry in the process list like
this

1247	p1	S	0:01 netscape
1248	p1	S	0:00 (dns helper)
1249	p1	Z	0:00 netstat (zombie)

I've since wiped my original system (Slackware, much stuffed with by an
incompetent beginner) and repalced it with Debian. I got this same
problem with V3.01 AND 4.03 of Netscape under slackware.

I've just downloaded V4.04 and installed it with netscapes ns_install
script and I have the same problem.

This leads me to think the problem is with my setup. Does Netscape need
anything special in the way of nameservers, routing etc ?. I am running
named on my system (why ?, because i can !) but I have not done anything
special with routing.
I've attached the output of a netstat -r command as a file because I
can't figure out how to cut and paste from emacs to netscape mail yet.

I haven't had a chance to test it properly but if I start netscape with
a local URL it seems to work. If I start it with a remote URL it starts
but I sometimes get a "Could not find name in DNS error", a refresh
makes it come good.

Any ideas anyone ?

John.