[H-GEN] Ip Masquarade Module Install

Wayne Meissner w.meissner at qut.edu.au
Sun Nov 2 21:33:18 EST 1997

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Robert Brockway wrote:

> Here is the best fix.
>
> Recompile a new kernel (cleaner than remember when you left the kernel you
> did a little while back).  Move /lib/modules/2.0.30 to 2.0.30.old before
> doing a make modules_install.  This will be fine unless the system tries
> to load a module so reboot into the new kernel as soon as you can.
>
> Remember to rerun lilo are installing the new kernel in the right place.

Another way is to create a /sbin/installkernel script which does all of
this for you, and you can customise it to your heart's content.
Basically, when you run 'make install' (instead of make zImage or make
zlilo) from the kernel directory, it calls /sbin/installkernel with the
full path of the image, the kernel version, and something else I can't
remember ...

e.g. in mine, I have it add a new entry to /etc/lilo.conf for that version
of the kernel, if one didn't exist, it dumps the kernel into /boot under
/boot/vmlinux.version, updates the default kernel link to point to that
version, then runs lilo.  If you wanted to, you could also have it delete
the modules for the target version (not really advised, unless you are
either 1) masochistic and like to live dangerously, 2) know what you are
doing).

Having multiple versions of the kernel as entries in LILO proves
handy for when you screwup, or the new kernel is too flakey - and kernels
+ modules take stuff all space.

--wayne