[H-GEN] Ip Masquarade Module Install

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Sun Nov 2 21:00:06 EST 1997

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Ross Camm wrote:

> I did'nt know so much could go wrong !

hehehe :)  Modules can be a minefield

> /sbin/depmod -a
> /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
> /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio
> /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_vdolive
> /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_app
> /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_irc
>
> as per the ip_masquarade mini howto.
>

> I then placed the file /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux in
> the /boot and changed the link for vmlinuz to point to it.

Don't use the non-compressed vmlinux files.  Use ther zImage file.

> My new kernel booted, but heaps of erors when loading modules, all
> "undefined" errors.

Yep a make modules_install won't overwrite modules.  So as you used the
same kernel version (I gather) it didn't over-write the existing modules,
introducing problems when you booted the new kernel.

> I then rebooted with the floppy again, and changed back everything I had
> done in /boot, ie renaming my backup of the original vmlinuz-2.0.30 to
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.30. The link boot/vmlinuz is still pointing to
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.30.
>
> When I reboot now, lilo comes up with Invalid Compressed Format (err=1),
> System Halted.

Did you rerun lilo?

Here is the best fix.

Recompile a new kernel (cleaner than remember when you left the kernel you
did a little while back).  Move /lib/modules/2.0.30 to 2.0.30.old before
doing a make modules_install.  This will be fine unless the system tries
to load a module so reboot into the new kernel as soon as you can.

Remember to rerun lilo are installing the new kernel in the right place.

> I even put a copy of the original vmlinuz-2.0.30 on another machine as a
> backup, but trying this file still gets the above lilo error.!!!

Either you have forgotten to rerun lilo or the kernel image is dodgy.

> So from floating high to backto earth. I now can't even run my linux box
> without booting from a floppy, and I'm still a long way from getting these
> modules working for ip masquarading, although I have verified the the
> ip_masq*.o files are in the /lib/modules/2.0.30/ipv4 directory.

> I someone has the time to set me right on what I have done incorrectly, it
> would be appreciated.

Once you have a masq enabled kernel up and running again and the right set
of modules we can go into masq more.  I didn't see any mention of the masq
firewalling rules in your explanation of what you did - you will need
those.

This list recently saw a discussion of the advantages of make
modules_install doing an over-write or not.  Some good reasons for not
doing an over-write were given but the problem you saw is a typical
'gotcha' as a result of the fact that they no longer over-write old
modules.
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway. Email: robert at zen.humbug.org.au, robert at icc.net.au