[H-GEN] Suggestions for help building a computer

Mick Campbell mick at toolah.com
Sat May 14 07:27:30 EDT 2016

G'Day all,

I always build my own computers, have been doing it for, well, ever. That
said, a muggle mate of mine purchased a custom system through Umart in
Underwood, years ago now.

When it was 3 ish years old I pulled it apart for a good clean, upgrade and
reinstall. I was really blown away at the quality and job done. Very tidy,
everything neatly routed that even my OCD self was impressed, heck, I'm too
lazy for that much detail on my own computers.  Even down to the minor
details where they normally rip off muggles like cheap RAM. When searching
to upgrade the RAM I was not able to find as fast low CAS ram they had used
to match the existing sticks.

He spent a lot at the time for the system for a custom build, and got a
good reliable computer out of it.

I don't work for Umart nor have shares ;-)  I think if you buy one of their
budget standard kits I doubt you will get the same quality / service.  I
have no idea if the bloke that built my mates computer still even works
there, but I just thought I would share his / our experience.

Ask around on the forums as well, people will typically have enough old
junk floating around for your son to piece together an old system with
linux on it to play / learn on.  Lots of fun!

Mick