[H-GEN] setting up Linux

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Thu Aug 27 07:25:51 EDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-08-21 at 12:22 +0000, gyfdrdedscf at sigaint.org wrote:
> Recently I installed a DVD burning software and all a sudden my personal
> email is shown in the following screen, which asks me to register my
> account in the software's system.
> Definitely I did not register it because this software works with or
> without an account but it made me nut that how come my email was shown?

Sorry, I'm lost.  To have a hope I need to know what operating system,
what DVD burning software, and what email client you are using.

> I always set 'clear browsing data from the begnning  of time' in browers
> and frequently use CCleaner to remove traces.

I googled CCleaner.  It seems to be a propriety, Windows program?  Both
those things create issues.  Since it is propriety, you are prevented by
the licence from knowing what it does.  It may well claim it is
optimising your PC while it is really installing spyware to steal your
banking details.  There is no way to tell.

As for Windows - it is a very good operating system (well 10 is anyway,
apart from the propriety bit) - but I don't use it so I'm no expert.

> Secondly, I know Debian and Whonix are different Linux distributions but
> when I tried to compare VirtualBox and Debian or VirtualBox and Whonix,
> the Internet is not giving me a clear anwser.
> I then read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution and got to
> know VirtualBox is a new platform.

It's a little complicated, but the key point here is Whonix is a
derivative of Debian.  That means Whonix started with Debian, and
modified it to suit their needs.  Usually it's just configuration
changes.  (In Whonix'x case, it looks like they've modified the
networking.)  The other software packages - such as VirtualBox, will be
identical to what some version of Debian provided.

> Question 1: with a ssd with just over 212GB, is allocating 15G to each
> Linux systems (I need one Windows 8.1 and two Linuxs, which then leaves
> around 180G for 8.1) a reasonbale practoce?
> I will be using Windows mostly.

15Gb will be very tight for Debian based distributions.  Double that
will be comfortable.  I don't know what Windows 10 needs.

> Question 2: If after a few months I found 15G is not enough for Linuxs,
> can I reallocate the space in a short-time setting, or do I need to
> reinstall all three platforms for new space allocation?

There are open source programs like gparted that can resize partitions.
However a cautious person would do a full backup to an external disk
drive first.

> Question 3: Most people don't use a multi-boots computer. Is there any
> regulation or law reminding Linux users not to do what, not to change what
> settings, not to do what testing?

No.