No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] NetBSD vs FreeBSD
From: Christopher Biggs <chris at stallion.oz.au>
Date: 05 Dec 2001 20:34:22 +1000
Sender: Majordomo <majordom at caliburn.humbug.org.au>

Sandra Milne <silne at optushome.com.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> At 22:23 4/12/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>
> >p.p.s. Having said all that, my main desktop systems are all Debian Linux.
> >        Servers, routers, et al. are BSD.
>
> what are the specs of your routers? It took me a while to get our lil

One of my NetBSD "mucking around" boxen is a 486/100 that I pulled out
of a skip.

Most of my systems are used primarily for IPsec interop testing[1].

They range from the above 486, through low-spec pentiums, to PIII.
One or two gig of drive space is enough room to hold the full sources
for any BSD and allow recompilation of the entire distribution.

> I only have a 500meg hard drive in lil ezri and
> she often finds an apt-get upgrade rather difficult as we run out of
> disk space if somebody actually keeps something in their home dir.

500 meg is fine if you don't expect to recompile the OS.  You'll
probably want to compile a custom kernel to obtain as much free RAM as
possible, but for the non-kernel system software, you can do
binary-only upgrades.

There is no 'fine-grained' binary packaging a-la debian, you get the
traditional base unix system, distributed in half a dozen big
tarballs, and then you can add extra packages (aka "ports") using a
way cool automated fetch-and-compile system.

> Also how difficult is it
> to set up a bsd box?

Once you have installed *BSD, you'll wonder why installing most
linuces is so hard.

If you ever installed an early slackware (where you basically choose
which "sets" you want, and then sit back and wait), you'll feel right
at home.

>i'd like to learn bsd tho, so would i be better off running it
> on the spare cyrix 233 first until i get the hang of it

Yeah.  But you can say that about any new OS.  I *never* expect to
get it right the first time when installing an unfamiliar OS.

> migrating the router? i had an isp a few years ago that ran freebsd
> but all i ever did with my shell account was read email and use irc.

Hmmn, OzEmail?  I recall they used to have BSD shell accounts.

--cjb

[1] I'm not personally involved in running a "real" network, although
    I assist the BOFH here when he needs a guru.

--
Christopher Biggs -- chris at stallion.oz.au -- Stallion Technologies Australia.
There's a bug in my mailer that mangles my sig but V guvax V'ir svkrq vg abj.