No subject

Fri Jan 31 06:23:24 EST 2014

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:59:28 +1000
From: Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net>
To: general at lists.humbug.org.au
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] caching nameserver
Sender: Majordomo <majordom at caliburn.humbug.org.au>

Raymond Smith wrote:

| On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Greg Black wrote:
| >
| > I, together with many other people, have been using djbdns on
| > various networks for ages and have nothing but praise for it.
| > That's actual experience, not somebody spreading FUD, which is
| > what you appear to be doing with your post.
| >
| > If you have specific issues with djbdns, take them to the djbdns
| > mailing list and let people address your concerns.
|
| Does djbdns now properly implement zone transfers? When I last looked
| around I had thought this was not the case; perhaps I am confusing it for
| some other system.

When AsiaOnline was my ISP, I used them as my secondary DNS for
my home network.  They used BIND-8.2.3 AFAIR and it never had
the slightest trouble doing zone transfers -- every time I
updated my tinydns server, the new data appeared promptly on the
AsiaOnline server.

I do know that BIND-9 (which I've never seriously deployed) had
trouble doing AXFR from axfrdns -- but that was due to a bug in
the early BIND-9 code which has since been fixed.

I'm not aware of any other interoperability issues.

| As far as BIND 9 goes... I had no troubles with it.I think I last used
| 9.1.3. I did have some very fucking wierd problems with zone transfers but
| I blamed them on the weird routing supplied by my former employer's IS
| people.

You may have been bitten by the bug mentioned above.

I think the implementation of BIND-9 will result in a codebase
that is quite reliable and satisfactory, although it's too early
to say that yet.  Certainly, given the experience with DNS which
they had available, the BIND people managed to work quite a lot
of silly bugs into the early releases -- however, I'm willing to
believe their claims that the new code is better then BIND-8, at
least until the evidence shows otherwise (although I don't plan
to audit the code myself).

Certainly, if I was still a BIND user, I'd be going with BIND-9
now.  But, having switched to djbdns and been perfectly happy
with it, I see no need to jump back.