[H-GEN] Thin client options in 2014

Lachlan lachlan.00 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 07:22:07 EST 2014

On 06/02/2014 10:01 pm, "gavin duley" <gavin at microcomaustralia.com.au>
wrote:

> On 06/02/14 21:43, Gary Curtis wrote:
>>
>> So... you run a nation-wide business that opted years ago for a
>> thin client solution based on Sunrays. You have close to 1000 of
>> these units spread across multiple offices running Ubuntu desktop.
>>
>> Oracle, who we all know bought Sun Microsystems years ago, have
>> decided to no longer continue the Sunray line.
>>
>> You, and all your IT staff, harbour various levels of revulsion at the
>> thought of reintroducing anything MS into the business. (apart from
>> the occasional recalcitrant who has convinced you in the past to
>> allow some Windows box for some nefarious purpose or other).
>>
>> How do you move forward...?
>

> You can just use cheap PCs as dumb terminals -- see, for example
http://www.ltsp.org/

I second this approach.

I put Debian on cheap pc's that have an xfreerdp session autostart that
asks for login details to a Windows host.

If you are using ubuntu for clients I would suggest looking at thinlinc as
well. They are a really good terminal services alternative.

(If you're gagging at Microsoft I'm surprised you aren't burning everything
Oracle related either.)