[H-GEN] Email delivery question

Benjamin Fowler ben.fowler.bjf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 19:50:47 EDT 2013

On 24 September 2013 23:41, James Mills <prologic at shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I would setup somethinig as simple as
> esmtp (a lightweight sendmail compatible MTA)
> and configure this to use your gmail account.
>
> If you google for "esmtp linux gmail"
> you should find necessary tutorials on
> how to set this up. I use this approach on
> all my servers... It means I don't have to setup
> a full MTA setup such as Exim or Postfix.

I ended up using ssmtp instead:

http://www.howtogeek.com/51819/how-to-setup-email-alerts-on-linux-using-gmail/

I've got logwatch set up, and sending out nightly emails, and I'll set
up smartmon and lmsensors later.

This at least gets me closer to having something I can keep a very
close eye on with minimal effort, and gives me a bit of peace-of-mind,
in that I know that a disk isn't going to die without me knowing about
it.

Cheers, Ben.