[H-GEN] new nvidia driver problem

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Sun Apr 14 19:38:01 EDT 2013

Hi Peter

> Last week I updated the nvidia driver on my laptop (Ubuntu 12.04) and
> now it stops me choosing 1024x768 (it only allows 1600x900) Anyone
> else
> had this problem? (xrandr also only shows that resolution but has
> multiple resolutions for my second monitor - nvidia config lists those
> resolutions as well).

Yea I had that issue with one of the kids' laptops running Lubuntu 12.04

What I noticed with recent fresh laptop installs (ASUS N56 R501) with Ubuntu 12.04, is that I don't need the proprietary video driver any more. 3D and OpenGL work well (Runescape, Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program - yes there's a Linux version of it now) with an excellent frame rate too.
I presume that actual milage will vary on the video chipset/card used, but considering the development of the 'nouveau' driver in recent times, I reckon it's worthwhile revisiting it rather than presuming it's not going to be adequate for you.

With nouveau on a fresh install, I haven't had the hassles. However, uninstalling the proprietary nvidia stuff and then getting nouveau to behave has often been pestilential.

The GPL drivers (AMD/ATI, NVidia) even support HDMI audio now in some cases.
Things are improving rapidly as devs have a major itch to scratch...

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com) MariaDB/MySQL services