[H-GEN] Recommendations for "little machines"

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 25 08:16:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 05:20 +0000, mark at colmiga.org wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I ordered a Globalscale Technologies MiraBox yesterday. It appears to be
> single core but it has some impressive expansion specs such as a mini PCIe
> slot, 2x USB 3.0 connectors and dual gigabit Ethernet.
>
> It comes with Debian v6 out of the box and I am sure it is hard float
> (it's a v7 core).
>
> For US$149+shipping it is very good value too.
>
> Mark.

Hmm, I'm still trying to get the fancy usb3 ports on my QNAP to come to
life under debian :/

On the cheap side I was tempted by this:
http://cubieboard.org/

But will likely end up getting an ODROID-X next. $130+ = Four cores and
in the same league performance wise as the tegra3 from what I can see.
http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php

Unfortunately no sata on the odroid, but various Linux images already
floating around for it. Both also sport only 10/100 for whatever reason.

I'm mostly looking to do some real time computation on the board some of
which can be split over cores so the odroid should be very interesting.
The project only needs <= 100kbyte/sec net io, so while those boards
wouldn't work too well as a NAS, the later should fit this project
nicely.