[H-GEN] linux weekly news podcast

Paul Gear humbug at libertysys.com.au
Tue May 15 05:47:35 EDT 2012

On 15/05/12 19:02, Brad Marshall wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM, David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 May 2012 08:53:43 +0100 "Thorne, Stephen"
>> <stephen at thorne.id.au> wrote:
>> And I think the point andrew and Sandra are making is that if we
>> don't bother using open formats ourselves, then we have lost and
>> proprietary formats win.  That can't be good for anyone, except the
>> owners of the proprietary formats.
> So stop complaining and offer to help - Clinton has asked for help, and if
> you're that worried about it, help him.  You can't demand he do more than
> he's got time to if you won't even offer to help at all.  Open source is also
> about collaboration, and scratching that itch.

+1 to Brad's comments.

I can't understand how anyone can criticise Clinton for providing
something that costs them no time, energy, or freedom.  If you want Ogg
format, offer to help him provide it.  Otherwise, say nothing and move
along.

I for one never listen to podcasts on my Linux boxes.  I listen using my
old Nokia E63 plugged into my car stereo during my commute - and it
doesn't support Ogg at all.

Clinton, if i have any constructive criticism to offer, it's that the
format is a little dry.  Perhaps getting a couple of people in the same
room to quickly summarise the story (rather than reading it verbatim)
and then discuss it a little more interactively would be a more useful
(and possibly more efficient) format.  A podcast along the lines of
Risky Business [1] or Packet Pushers [2] would fill an important gap in
the Linux world, IMO.  Of course, those podcasts are done by people who
are working part- or full-time on their respective podcasts, and i can't
really offer any time to participate, so i probably should shut up now. :-)

Paul

[1] http://risky.biz/ - weekly security podcast
[2] http://packetpushers.net/ - weekly-ish networking podcast
- both highly recommended