[H-GEN] linux weekly news podcast

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Tue May 15 01:32:28 EDT 2012

On Tue, 15 May 2012 12:41:16 +1000 Clinton Roy <clinton.roy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug
> and     ] [ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses
> will vanish. ]
>
> On 13 May 2012 19:38, Sandra Mansell <sandra at mansell.id.au> wrote:
>
> > Out of curiosity, why are these being distributed in mp3 instead of
> > <insert free codec here>? Are you working towards making it
> > available in formats other than mp3?
>
> I'm not. I don't think it's sensible to not publish an mp3 file, so I
> can't be bothered
> with anything else.

You are publishing Linux news, your listeners will be Linux users.  Mp3
tends to not be installed in Linux by default for stupid legal
reasons.  So some OTHER format might be more popular with your
listeners.  Hell, some might eschew mp3 all together, so your content
might not be available to them.

On the other hand, it's probably safe to assume your listeners can play
ogg files.

On the gripping hand, I don't think it's sensible to publish technical
information like Linux news in anything other than text format.  You
can't point a search engine at audio.  You can't speed read a video, or
skim over it quickly looking for that one nugget that's actually
interesting to you.  You can't play an audio or video at 3AM when you
have thin walls and sleeping neighbours.  Text is just smaller and more
easy to manage for information.  But that's off topic, though it
explains why I stay away from podcasts and online videos.

Audio is for music, video is for porn.  :-P