[H-GEN] Linux distributions

Paul Gear paul at libertysys.com.au
Sun Aug 26 23:14:06 EDT 2012

On 08/27/2012 12:40 PM, Russell Stuart wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 12:18 +1000, gavin duley wrote:
>> particularly like the Unity interface, and all the other window managers
>> I've tried on Ubuntu seem to be broken in some way or another. E.g.:
>> * gnome-classic: missing the battery meter, somewhat inconvenient on a
>> laptop -
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-power/+bug/997758
>> * enlightenment: until a recent software update, it didn't have the full
>> Applications menu that Gnome, XFCE & Unity give you. Now it does, but
>> crashes every time you access the 'Accessories' sub-menu ...
>> * xfce: worked until I did a software update today, but is now lacking
>> titlebars for all windows(?).
> Dare I say Debian wheezy (ie Debian testing)?
>
> Testing is more up to date the Ubuntu, and Debian has recently decided
> to move its default Desktop from Gnome to Xfce4 [1].  As a bonus if it
> works well, Wheezy will become Debian stable in due course.  So if what
> want is a rock solid laptop that just works for 3 years or so without
> any effort on your part, you will have it.

I've recently had to make the same choice, and i decided to go for Linux
Mint Debian Edition.  They don't support encrypted drives or LVM, so I
installed Debian (squeeze) first, upgraded to wheezy, then installed
Linux Mint over the top using an article i found online [1].  It was a
bit of mucking around, but i ended up with a system which is tracking
wheezy with the MATE Desktop (which is a rebuild and continuation of
GNOME 2).  I'll probably stick with this until wheezy + 1 comes out
unless there are major issues or Linux Mint stop supporting MATE or Debian.

Paul