[H-GEN] Rackmount boxes at home

Nick Kwiatkowski nickolas at au1.ibm.com
Sun Sep 19 18:41:56 EDT 2010

Stephen Thorne wrote on 18/09/2010 12:02:38 PM:

> On 2010-09-17, Benjamin Fowler wrote:
> > Does anybody bother with 19" racks and rackmount server cases at home?
 Is
> > it worth the trouble trying to track down the required hardware to
save
> > space?
>
> With the power companies putting up rates all the time, I'm personally a
huge
> fan of using very low-power draw servers at home. This usually means
mini-itx
> machines in tiny cases with tinier power supplies.
>
> While the romantic appeal of running a rack with a switch and half dozen
> servers is certainly a factor, and I've seen many geeks around brisbane
have
> one, I don't personally see the point of having anything more than a
gateway
> machine that's on 24/7. Let alone 19" rack kit running server
boards+hardware.

I agree, I compare my sun box to the qnap nas box at home, and the nas box
only consumes about 8w at idle ..... what I did do for my current house,
is build a small server room out of the top half of a cupboard. So all the
various boxes while not racked are tucked away neatly into that space.

Regards

Nickolas Kwiatkowski
 348 Edward Street

Brisbane Architecture Practice Manager