[H-GEN] [H-ADMIN] Hi & Humbug AGM 2010

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Tue Sep 14 03:38:56 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 16:59 +1000, Daniel Devine wrote:
> > So my question is, what do today's hard core UQ computer students play
> > with?
>
> Facebook.

Maybe, if you mean they find they find the challenges on implementing
something on the massive scale of Facebook interesting.  Or maybe they
read the API's and write apps for it.

Otherwise, no.  I know a lot of people who use Facebook religiously.
Most of them would not be in the slightest bit interested in Humbug, and
likewise most Humbuger's would find them fairly uninteresting people as
they think of technology as something you use, not something you create.

The sort of person we are talking about would read this:

  http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/404730/89344c593c31061d/

and think: "I could fix that.  If I used the twitter API to look within
the tweak stream, and use re-tweets as a metric for the popularity of a
tweat, then I could use something like the Google Matrix algorithm [1]
to produce a twitter feed web site that filters out most of the crap.
Then I could put it up on a web site so my friends could use it."

Except that is probably a bad example because they know more than an old
foggy like me, and thus probably already know of somewhere on the web
that already does it.  However, the point remains that compared to
excitement technology and what you can do with it generates in them, the
social networking aspect of Facebook and similar sites is as boring as
bat shit.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_matrix