[H-GEN] [H-ADMIN] Hi & Humbug AGM 2010

Gary Curtis gazilla at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 01:47:53 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 15:34, Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, Russell Stuart wrote:
>
>> Now bandwidth is ubiquitous, your grandmother could install and use
>> Ubuntu, and you can chat about whatever you want on the zillions of
>> internet forums out there.  So the really compelling reasons that
>> brought people to Humbug have gone.
>
> And yet other user groups do survive, mainly with regular talks.  There are
> many many LUGs,SUGs and UUGs within the greater Toronto area.  The total
> population is around twice that of Brisbane.
>
>> open source.   And by good fortune, Humbug happens to meet where all the
>> students are.
>
> Indeed :)  It's a bit of a wonder that we don't still attract a lot of
> undergrads.  HUMBUG certainly was very well known on campus even without
> advertising.  Not sure if that is still true.

I saw some stats recently. Sorry, but I did not save the URL.

In essence they were saying that Linux use on campuses was suffering
much more from adoption of Macs than from continued use of Windows.

>From memory the numbers were something like 70+% for Windows,
20+% for OSX, and less than one percent Linux.

If we want to see HUMBUG grow and thrive then we have to be able to
help the OSX using students get more from the FreeBSD under their hoods.
Goes a bit against the grain for me, as I can never see myself entering
the walled garden that is Apple.

Gaz