[H-GEN] My nomination for President

Gary Curtis gazilla at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 00:41:50 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:10, Greg Black <gjb at yaxom.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:55, Russell Stuart
> <russell-humbug at stuart.id.au> wrote:
>
> > If this all goes well again this year, I will be moving motions at next
> > years AGM to cement these new positions in place.
>
> That reminds me of an amendment that I would like to propose to the
> constitution. I know it's way past the deadline to get it into this
> AGM, but I'd still like to start people thinking about it.
>
> Each year, when we set the date for the AGM, we get complaints from
> members who are upset that it clashes with Riverfire (as is the case
> this year) or with some football grand final (as has happened several
> times in living memory). This is probably because neither Riverfire
> nor football are of great interest to many of our members.
> Nevertheless, since this has come up pretty much every year that I can
> recall, I think it would be good to move the AGM to August. I'd
> suggest that it should be on the last meeting in August.
>
> So that's something for the new Exec to consider.
>
> > And a final reminder: please come along to the AGM and participate.
>
> Indeed -- we need to have people working to help Humbug to continue
> its excellent services and I'm pretty sure that there's a bit of
> burnout in the Exec now, so this looks like a great opportunity for
> some new blood.
>
> Cheers, Greg

It does clash with Riverfire, and while I agree that the fireworks may not
be of much interest to our members, they may be of interest to the families
of our members. Furthermore, rather than bringing the AGM forward one
meeting, I suggest delaying it by one meeting. Some of our members will
still be in hibernation in August.

Gary