[H-GEN] dpreview like site for laptops?

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Wed May 19 00:35:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 14:04 +1000, Clinton Roy wrote:
> I'm in the market for a laptop, but I'd really prefer to search by
> feature and criterion rather than
> arbitrary codenames and things. Does anyone know for a dpreview like
> site for laptops?

You are asking too much.  There will be bugger all web sites out there
that know more than you already do about laptops.

I can tell you the way I do it though.  Go to the Dell site, configure a
few laptops with the right set of options.  (Actually any big online
store will do, but Dell is big and convenient.)  This will give you a
feel for price/features.  Then go on a laptop crawl.  Compare the
laptops you find to the Dell baseline.

It is a real eye-opener.  Some will be better for the price.  Most will
be worse.

This won't find you the best laptop.  But it will prevent you from being
screwed.