[H-GEN] 4->8gb ram instability?

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 21 03:41:31 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 17:10 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> On 2010-06-21, Ben Martin wrote:
> >   On the odd chance that somebody has ventured and been bitten, I have
> > an AMD X4 machine which runs well with 4gb of RAM but on upgrade to 8gb
> > (4 sticks total) random crashes ensue, from yum through to bash. This is
> > a Fedora 13 64bit distro machine. The thing runs solid for 3+ passes of
> > memtest86 so I'm thinking it can address it's RAM fine.
>
> I have an AMD X2 that does similar stuff with 8G (mainly noticed
> with OpenSolaris which I was testing at the time), but also seen
> with BSD and Linux installations.  Worked fine with 4G.
>
> Although it refuses to start now when I went to check what OS it
> was running last ...
>
> I also have an Intel Core 2 quad that is too flaky to use with
> OpenSolaris but has been running recent Ubuntu distros quite
> successfully.  I decided it was all too hard to debug and have
> been taking the path of least resistance, but I'd be interested
> to hear any further info on these issues.

I'm suspecting that the IMC in the X4 might not like to play with the
four banks. I forgot to mention that the X4 is running on a K9N2 SLI
Platinum mobo. The mobo is cheap, but with the IMC there isn't really
much IC action on the board to foul things up? The PSU is high end, so
most likely not going to be the cause.

There are bios updates, complete with crappy changelogs, and I might try
to force the CAS lower and other tricks next time I roll the dice. Which
involves the old adding "DOS" to the grub menu or maybe risking a bois
flash from a ram disk setup from a usb pen drive version of dos.

Being a server machine it's not so enjoyable taking it offline to
tinker :|