[H-GEN] Fwd: [H-ADMIN] City Studios - Groupware assistance & LCA 2011

Daniel Devine devine at ddevnet.net
Fri Feb 12 01:55:08 EST 2010

Gday,

If you have the resources I would highly recommend Zimbra. The problem
is that Zimbra requires a server to itself as it uses non-standard
packages which would interfere with other things that are probably
already running on the server such as Apache.
It is great groupware suite and should fit your needs well. The phone
syncronisation works  reliably in my experience, which is a nice
feature to have.

You could buy more server space and run Zimbra yourself (using the
professional edition for Outlook sync) or you can outsource the server
to somebody such as 01.com for a bit cheaper and you don't have to
worry about running a mail server (I hate mail servers).
If you want to take the outsourcing route then Google Apps may be
another good option (they provide Outlook sync).

A possible fully free solution that I actually have a little
experience with the the Horde Groupware suite. I am pretty sure it has
Outlook compatibility, though I have never actually used Horde with
Outlook! Check it out at http://www.horde.org/
You should be able to run Horde on your existing server :D

My opinion is that 50 paying occupants probably justifies spending
money on a reliable and robust solution as provided by Zimbra or
Google Apps.

PHProject looks OK and seems to mention an Outlook sync add-on (it is
in German so I am not 100% sure)...

--Daniel Devine