[H-GEN] 'refridgerated' server rack

Mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 8 20:12:48 EST 2010

Has anyone on the list ever explored the idea of "refridgerating" a
server rack.

My IBM X345 server has an array of of 8 double 1.5" fan units that have
3 speed settings with corresponding noise levels (endurable, jumbo
flying low and overloaded C5A galaxy taking off).

I made a sound insulated cabinet to reduce the noise level but it was
only marginally successful, upto a room temperature of 26C the fans are
ok but when the temp exceeds 26c the fans bump up to the 2nd speed and
I am coping grief over the running cost of the a/c to keep them cool.

The thought crossed my mind that I might be able to develop and simple
unit that could chill the cabinet less expensively.

Any thoughts?

mik