[H-GEN] transfer files : linux box <==> router <==> windows 7 box

Mick Campbell mick at toolah.com
Wed Dec 1 07:27:08 EST 2010

Assuming they are on the same subnet and can ping each other (not sure
of the router set up) then you could easily set up a FTP daemon on the
Linux box and use a nice graphical FTP client in windows for transfers,
which would be better and easier then SAMBA to configure.

FTP, being the File Transfer Protocol, is optimised for transfer of
files and has cool features like auto-resume and queuing of files etc.

The other option is that Windows 7 supports NFS, so you could simply
export your directories on the linux box and mount the NFS share in
windows where it will appear as a typically mapped network drive.

How to set up the NFS exports in Linux:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/NFS-HOWTO/server.html

How to mount the NFS share in Windows 7:
http://blog.cuongnv.com/2009/11/windows-7-client-for-nfs-and-user-name.html
i just noticed when googling that NFS is only available in the
uncrippled 'Ultimate' version, if you don't have that, then use FTP or
SAMBA.