[H-GEN] Constitutional changes I will be proposing at the AGM

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Tue Aug 24 10:26:07 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Russell Stuart
<russell-humbug at stuart.id.au> wrote:
<snip/>
> Instead it will
> end up in some offshore bank account [1], possibly in a foreign
> currency.  (Offshore because we can't use Paypal, and the local ones are
> far too expensive for our volumes. [2])

Sorry, I missed the reasoning here. Why can't you use Paypal?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Greg Black <gjb at yaxom.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> But not all those who pay online will be non-local. I will certainly pay online
> even though I attend each meeting in person. I want online payments because
> I don't use cash. I'm happy to pay more for the convenience, and because the
> cost to me of getting cash is far greater than any minor fee we might charge
> for the online option.

I don't know what it's like these days, but I used to find it hard to
pay my membership fees even when I showed up to a meeting with cash.
The cash box would be with the treasurer, who may not have shown up
until later, or who left before I got there, etc, etc. It may be
better these days, but if not, at least it provides an alternative.

Regardless of convenience for locals, I'd love the option to pay
online. It's not easy to get a payment to you guys from here in the
US, but I want to support the club. Other than the role it had in my
own development, it's quite unique around the world. There are VERY
few clubs like this, or with membership of this quality, in any of the
places I've been too. The closest would be in Silicon Valley, but even
then, HUMBUG is still somewhat unique (and in a good way).

Regards,
Paul