[H-GEN] [Exec] My points for the exec meeting on the 19/9/2009.

matheist76 at westnet.com.au matheist76 at westnet.com.au
Fri Sep 18 16:18:06 EDT 2009

Hi,
   Greg Black Stated:
> Considering that Russell, together with his well-publicised
> program for action, was elected by an almost unanimous vote, I
> think it would be better for all the sniping to stop and for
> people to start working together to get things onto a better
> footing.  Russell certainly has a mandate from the members.

Russell's opponent was Clinton who I believe would have tried to implement
Russell's "well-publicised program". I don't think Russell was voted on
his program alone. I am sure that some members would have voted for him
on the basis of his program. However I know that others, myself included,
voted for him simply because he has been a hard worker in Humbug over the year
and not because of this so called mandated program.

> People who found themselves on an Exec that isn't going about
> the things the way they want have nobody to blame but
> themselves.  They now have the choice to either get with the
> program that the members have endorsed, or to quit from their
> roles on the Exec and let people who want to advance the club to
> take over those positions.

In fact on one of the items of his program "making the private lists public"
was a failed motion at the AGM. Which Russell has now brought forward as an
Exec meeting motion as he can. I don't think Greg that Russell's plan has been
endorsed just over looked. Since none of the other items with Russell's
program were even discussed let alone voted on at the AGM there really is no
clear evidence to say one way or the other that people wanted the rest of his
items implemented.

In fact one could say this. I got voted in as Vice President. I opposed
Russell's proposed changes to the Exec. That is why I got voted in. I now have
a mandate now to oppose Russell's changes or I could say that but maybe I won
because I, like Russell, have shown that I am a hard worker. That I am
prepared to put in the effort as a member of the Exec. Why should I quit when
I just disagree with some of the things and ways Russell wants to implement his
ideas. Talk about nonsense.

I would like to point out that I am not opposed to performing some of the
tasks laid out in Russell's plan for example coordinating meetings. The
issue that I have is being forced to do so. Even if that is by a majority
of the Exec. The other issue that I have with one request from Russell that as
part of his propose agenda. This is a vote on reports. Within this I would also
be required to produce a report on membership. Clearly something that the
Secretary should be doing as part of his elected job.

I propose that each of us agree to reports that apply to our jobs as stand and
also as we were vote in on. That if there is a need for there to be reports on
issues beyond this then a non-exec role of "Meeting Coordinator" be created.
That the President also then asks Stephen Thomas to provide a report as the
Head System Administrator at Exec meetings. To that end I have now added as an
amendment to Russell's motion.

Matthew Franklin (Vice President)

> 51% of the Exec can force the rest of the exec to do jobs that
> they didn't sign up for

This claim is nonsensical. Nobody can force anybody to do
anything in an organisation like Humbug.

> The decision to change the duties of an office holder, at a minimum,
> should have the consent of the affected person.

Again, this is nonsense. If the affected person doesn't like the
decision, they can simply resign from their position.

Considering that Russell, together with his well-publicised
program for action, was elected by an almost unanimous vote, I
think it would be better for all the sniping to stop and for
people to start working together to get things onto a better
footing.  Russell certainly has a mandate from the members.

People who found themselves on an Exec that isn't going about
the things the way they want have nobody to blame but
themselves.  They now have the choice to either get with the
program that the members have endorsed, or to quit from their
roles on the Exec and let people who want to advance the club to
take over those positions.

Greg