[H-GEN] World of Goo selling great under the "Pay what you want" model (closed source, but hear me out)

Daniel Devine devine at ddevnet.net
Sat Oct 24 01:23:29 EDT 2009

I have only just heard about this today, but World of Goo, a VERY fun
cross platform and DRM free puzzle game (Linux supported as a first
class citizen) is giving people the opportunity to buy the full
version for however much they see fit - from $1 to $99999999.

This marketing model does work and has been leveraged very
successfully by bands such as Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails in the
music industry. Not only is it a good for sales because it stops
people bothering to pirate (and the majority pay an honest amount) but
its clearly a great promotional tool (dammit!).

I think supporting indy developers and especially those who make
efforts towards Linux is important because the one thing that is
holding up a massive amount of users from adopting Linux is the lack
of quality commercial games.

I paid $5 - and for those who have already tried the Linux demo
previously I am happy to report that they have fixed the performance
issues (stuttering mostly) and it runs absolutely perfectly on my
laptop  (Fedora 11, 1.6Ghz, 512MB RAM, Radeon 9700 Mobile).

Its a seriously fun game!