[H-GEN] Looking for a linux laptop

QuarkAV.com - Hilton Travis hilton at quarkav.com
Tue May 26 00:03:54 EDT 2009

On 2009-05-26 10:17, David Seikel wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 2009 06:23:36 +1000 "QuarkAV.com - Hilton Travis"
> <hilton at quarkav.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 2009-05-25 21:07, David Seikel wrote:
>>
>>> I might be going on a business trip soon, and will need a laptop.
>>> Pretty much just need something roughly the equivalent of my current
>>> desktop, which is a few years old.  I don''t want to spend a
>>> fortune, with the sort of specs I need, something cheap will
>>> probably work.
>>>
>>> The critical application as Second Life, if it can run that well, it
>>> can run everything else that I need to.  There will be lots of C and
>>> C++ development to.  Ubuntu is what I use now, current version.
>>> Probably not fussy about the linux distro, but it will be minimal
>>> work to just duplicate what I got now, then tweak it for the laptop.
>>>

>> We just sold one of these to the father in law of one of our guys:
>> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-3744201-3834833.html
>> (with an extended HP warranty) which should suit your needs.
>>

> I'll check it out, what price are you selling them for?

As it was family, it was cost.  We're good like that!  :)
>> Also, can I ask how you actually use Second Life.  I keep hearing
>> people claim it can be a business tool, but to date no-one has
>> managed to back that up with actual reasons.  I'd *really* like to
>> know how this can be beneficial from a business point of view.
>>

> While the details are covered by an NDA, I can say that we will be
> building Second Life places under contract for whatever purposes the
> clients require.  So the business in this case is roughly the equivalent
> of building web sites for money.

Aha - you're in the generation of a "site" side, not the using a site
for business.  I still cannot see where the business value is in Second
Life (aside from what you're doing).  I'm not *that* interested, but it
would be nice to understand this thing!  :)

- HiltonT