[H-GEN] Looking for a linux laptop

Nick Kwiatkowski nickolas at au1.ibm.com
Mon May 25 21:13:51 EDT 2009

David Seikel wrote on 26/05/2009 10:17:21 AM:

> On Tue, 26 May 2009 06:23:36 +1000 "QuarkAV.com - Hilton Travis"
> <hilton at quarkav.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2009-05-25 21:07, David Seikel wrote:
> > > I might be going on a business trip soon, and will need a laptop.
> > > Pretty much just need something roughly the equivalent of my current
> > > desktop, which is a few years old.  I don''t want to spend a
> > > fortune, with the sort of specs I need, something cheap will
> > > probably work.
> > >
> > > The critical application as Second Life, if it can run that well, it
> > > can run everything else that I need to.  There will be lots of C and
> > > C++ development to.  Ubuntu is what I use now, current version.
> > > Probably not fussy about the linux distro, but it will be minimal
> > > work to just duplicate what I got now, then tweak it for the laptop.

Probably sounds basis, but I'm really happy with the laptops that IBM
supply us (aka lenovo Thinkpads). I like them and the Dells, as they have
strong frames. This leads to longevity, as the less stress on
motherboards, connections, etc, the better. Ie they are still going strong
after three years of hard use. If you do go down this route, thinkwiki.org
is a good site for installing linux. Ubuntu work quite nicely btw on a
T61. If, as the other guys have pointed out, know what type of laptop you
are after (size, configuration, etc), I'm happy to quote you the IBM staff
price for comparison (or get if you so like).

> > Also, can I ask how you actually use Second Life.  I keep hearing
> > people claim it can be a business tool, but to date no-one has
> > managed to back that up with actual reasons.  I'd *really* like to
> > know how this can be beneficial from a business point of view.
>
> While the details are covered by an NDA, I can say that we will be
> building Second Life places under contract for whatever purposes the
> clients require.  So the business in this case is roughly the equivalent
> of building web sites for money.

IBM has a strong interest in this area, with an island, yak, yak, etc.
Been to a couple of 'virtual' tech seminars, and education session via
Second Life or similar. Same with SAP as well. Not the same as attending
and talking to folk face 2 face just yet.....

Nickolas Kwiatkowski
Senior IT Architect (Certified)
Architecture Services
Global Business Services - Application Services
IBM Global Services, Brisbane, Australia
phone:  07 3213 2149,  mobile:  0412 121 276,  email: nickolas at au1.ibm.com
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein