[H-GEN] 3G router with OpenWRT

Nick Kwiatkowski nickolas at au1.ibm.com
Tue Mar 31 02:28:32 EDT 2009

Gavin Duley wrote on 31/03/2009 02:27:24 PM:

> > Details of the unit can be found here:
> > http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/3g/n3g002w
>
> Thanks! That sounds like it would work well for me too.
>
> I noticed on the Umart webpage that the one user review criticises it
> as being unreliable, though. Could just be that person had bad luck --
> how reliable have you found it to be.

I did a firmware update shortly after I got the unit. A couple of people
had some problems connecting, but that turned out to be their wireless
settings. Something not connecting properly with the 802.11b preamble(short
vs long). When set back to the default they connected fine.

> I'm hoping it should work. The Virgin service was one of the things
> that made me think of trying to do this -- but since I don't make that
> many phone calls, their AU$80/month service is a bit excessive/
> expensive...

Only thing I can recommend in this space, is to be careful with the
selection ATA / VoIP box that you use. I initially brought a SPA-3102, as
it was cheap, but had the physical line failover as a back-up. The issue
that I had, and I understand now that this is common. Most people connect a
ATA device with a DECT phone, that caused be no end of trouble as to get
the phone impedance correct is a nightmare. The result was either echo on
our side of the call or the receiver.

This is because of the artifacts that you get from going Analogue ->
Digitial for the DECT -> Analogue for the phone -> Digitial for VoIP ->
Analogue for the receiving POTS. I have ended up replacing the SPA-3102
with a Siemens C470-IP, which is a DECT VoIP phone. This means that now I
have Analogue -> Digitial for VoIP -> Analogue for the receiving POTS; and
much clearer voice calls.

Something I have yet to look at is doing this over 3G data link. Only have
to do this because I'm on a Telstra wholesale rim that is a capacity, so
latency is crap from 6pm to midnight.

Cheers,

Nik

Nickolas Kwiatkowski
Senior IT Architect (Certified)
Architecture Services
Global Business Services - Application Services
IBM Global Services, Brisbane, Australia
phone:  07 3213 2149,  mobile:  0412 121 276,  email:  nickolas at au1.ibm.com
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein