[H-GEN] 3G router with OpenWRT

gavin duley gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au
Tue Mar 31 00:27:24 EDT 2009

On 31 Mar 2009, at 03:26, Nick Kwiatkowski wrote:

> Gavin Duley wrote on 31/03/2009 11:01:11 AM:
>>
>> I can plug the USB modem into a router that has a USB port and is
>> running OpenWRT, and get it to route internet traffic over the 3G
>> link. As far as clients are concerned, they are just connecting via a
>> standard router (wireless or wired). If I then want to use 3G
>> broadband "on the road", I could shut the router down and unplug the
>> USB modem.
>>

> I have with the netcomm N3G002W, it is a 3G router, that takes both
> USB and
> datacard modems. Use it on client sites for when we have colleagues
> that
> don't have wireless datacard / modem already. Typically we swap to
> who ever
> has an available modem. So the unit works well with vodafone,
> telstra and
> optus - both for USB and for datacard / pcmcia cards.
>
> Details of the unit can be found here:
> http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/3g/n3g002w

Thanks! That sounds like it would work well for me too.

I noticed on the Umart webpage that the one user review criticises it
as being unreliable, though. Could just be that person had bad luck --
how reliable have you found it to be.

>> Anyone here had any experience of trying anything similar? Did it
>> work? Would the net connection be good enough to use for VoIP?
>>

> To be honest haven't tried VoIP, so can give you an answer. There is a
> latency hit with using 3G wireles (about 120ms) to be aware of. Then
> again
> that is how Virgin's home phone + broadband is done.

I'm hoping it should work. The Virgin service was one of the things
that made me think of trying to do this -- but since I don't make that
many phone calls, their AU$80/month service is a bit excessive/
expensive...

>> Alternatively, are there any other better ideas I should be looking
>> at? Something like the D-LINK DIR-451 would also seem to be a good
>> option, but I'm hoping to spend a bit less than that on the router...
>
> The list price is $199, but only paid around $160 for it (umart at
> milton I
> think).

Yes -- they have it on their website too, thanks.

gavin,

--
Of course, just because we've heard a spine-chilling, blood-curdling
scream of the sort to make your very marrow freeze in your bones doesn't

Gavin Duley
<gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://gpd.sdf-eu.org/