[H-GEN] Very cheap Subversion hosting?

gavin duley gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au
Thu Mar 5 21:57:41 EST 2009

On 2 Mar 2009, at 22:10, Benjamin Fowler wrote:

> I liked Greg's suggestion of getting a cheap virtual host, although
> my thinking is 1) getting a virtual host to run a Subversion server
> and a shell is probably overkill, although it might be worth the
> trouble if I could squeeze other useful services, like Tomcat on it.

I've been thinking of doing this myself, to host my website and maybe
run my own mail server. It certainly would be interesting to try.

> I don't think I'll go with CVSdude -- I very much doubt that my
> stuff will be releasable any time soon, if ever.
>
> Alternatively, I can do what one of my buddies here at work does,
> and get ADSL, and put a server on it.  Although that has its own
> disadvantages, including lack of reliability and issues of cost.

This can work well. I think the main disadvantage here is security -
you *will* have people trying to break into your server. Running sshd
on a non-standard port can help.

> File/VCS hosting is really what I'm after, here.  I'm flexible on
> what source control system I use, so long as I have a central
> dumping ground for my source code.  So I should probably look hard
> at getting co-op SDF/ARPA membership.

It's probably not so clear in my earlier email, but 'ARPA' and 'Meta-
ARPA' are different membership levels on the SDF Public Access Unix
system.

gavin,

--
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot+++
                 -- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Gavin Duley
<gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://gpd.sdf-eu.org/