[H-GEN] Big ticket spending [was: The lca movie.]

Mark Ellem mark at colmiga.org
Thu Jun 25 14:59:37 EDT 2009

Hi Greg,

On 22/6/09 10:17 AM, Greg Black wrote:

> I have seen various discussions recently which seem to suggest that
> there is a plan, or maybe a possible plan, to purchase a video camera
> (and possibly other supporting equipment) by Humbug and this message
> reminded me of that.
>
> Given that Humbug is a non-profit organisation with a very limited
> budget (based most years on membership fees of only $20/year), it seems
> to me that any proposal to even consider a big dollar purchase of this
> type should have wide discussion and should not be considered unless
> there is widespread support amongst the membership.  To date, I have
> seen no attempt to gauge support or to include the membership in the
> process of deliberation.

HUMBUG has no intention of spending 'big dollar' amounts of money on A/V
equipment. The camera that I purchased for HUMBUG to consider is $299.
That said, it was purchased in consultation with other executive
members, and if HUMBUG chooses it does not wish to purchase the camera I
have means of parting with it in other ways. There would be around
another $300 spent on A/V equipment to complete the setup.

The benefits of recording talks and learning A/V to the membership I
feel justify the small investment.

There was talk of spending upwards of $2000 on A/V, a cost an
organization like HUMBUG could absolutely not justify and I would now
not support.

A side note. Although I don't wish to sound like we are 'rolling in
dough' and we can go on a spending spree, HUMBUG is not exactly poor
financially. The outlay proposed above would only make a tiny dent in
HUMBUG's finances. Before we purchase the rest of the equipment, we
shall be seeking funding from other organizations to help offset the
investment. The reason the camera was bought now was because the
discount offered from original selling price was too good to refuse. It
was done to ensure HUMBUG did not spend 'big dollar' amounts on A/V.

> While it is true that people can have fun with video cameras, it is not
> at all clear to me that any of the goals of Humbug would be advanced by
> such a purchase.  I feel that this project should be stopped in its
> tracks until the reasons and benefits and costs have been presented to
> the whole club for discussion and endorsement (or not).
>
> As far as I can see, the only way in which such a purchase could be
> contemplated would be if it was sponsored by some commercial body who
> saw some benefit in doing that.

Again, you are assuming the cost would be 'big dollar'. I recall the
purchase of upgraded networking equipment we use at our meetings, an
outlay of a few hundred dollars. It seemed to be a worthwhile investment
and I do not recall any talk of getting commercial sponsorship for it
due to the 'big dollar' cost.

One of my goals as Vice President is to find new ways to share
information to members and progress the club. I feel a talks agenda
(being worked on by our talks maintainer), coupled with recording the
talks for posting to our website (something that's going to be worked on
soon) would immensely benefit our membership and help open our group to
new members.

I greatly respect your opinion Greg and the fact you are a long time
member. That said, I feel you are jumping to conclusions.

> Anyway, I would really like to see some discussion by club members
> before this horse gets out of the barn.

Me too.

Mark Ellem.
Vice President, HUMBUG.