[H-GEN] Big ticket spending [was: The lca movie.]

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Mon Jun 22 01:02:18 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 14:44 +1000, James Purser wrote:
> Russell Stuart wrote
> > Possession is 9/10's of the law.
> >
> Umm no it's not.
>
> Linux Australia's policy AFAIK (I'm not a Council Member but I haven't
> seen anything that might change that) is to rent AV equipment from year
> to year. This is both to reduce costs and to assist in keeping up to
> date with technological changes that occur in the AV field.

Linux Australia's policy on A/V gear and who would be allowed to use it
are two different things, James.  Linux Australia has been rather
generous with the WRT54GL's.  Indeed they have sat around Humbug for a
while.  I imagine the A/V will be the same.  If Humbug was using it I am
sure we would be allowed to keep it until some more important use
arises.

As for Linux Australia's policy on A/V gear, it only makes sense if
renting is indeed much cheaper than buying.  If, as Matt thinks may be
the case, the prices are now similar it would be pretty hard to resist
an argument for ditching the policy.