[H-GEN] HUMBUG, LCA. Get involved with OSDC 2009 *now*

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Sun Jun 7 19:21:19 EDT 2009

Hi everybody

I would just like to encourage you to actively assist with OSDC
(osdc.com.au) for which Stephen Thorne is the lead organiser and the
conference dates are 25-27 November.

This in particular for all those among you who are now happily delving
into yet-another-LCA-bid for Brisbane.
The best way to get insight into what works for a conf, is to very
actively take part in organising one!
OSDC 2009 Brisbane is your opportunity *right now*

I realise many of you have already volunteered to help out on-site at
the conf and that's great too but not the same - there's so much that
needs to be done beforehand, and even now. Lots of little things that
may seem utterly boring and trivial, but are nevertheless vital. Every
conference has those things and you want to be very aware of them and
how much time they eat.

And let me put this to you: when the LA committee reviews a bid, how
do you reckon it would look for HUMBUG with OSDC having been held
right here, lead organised by a respected HUMBUG member, with only a
modest active pre-conf involvement by other HUMBUG members? What will
it tell them about actual proven ability to get up and do stuff that
needs to get done to run an LCA?

So, go on, give Stephen a call and just ask what you can do. It's not
instead-of, it's in addition to. It'll help your "resume" for an LCA
bid.
If you can't spare the time, then let me assure you that you
definitely wouldn't be able to handle LCA either; OSDC is a
significant task in itself, but LCA is an order of magnitude more
complex for a variety of reasons. So, prove it by doing it. Today.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Affordable Training and ProActive Support for MySQL & related

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org